Monday, November 17, 2014

Still Got Eggs in this Bitter Cold!

Today was bitter cold. Thank God for wood for the fireplace and vegetables to make a most nutritious soup for supper!

I dug out coveralls out of storage this morning. I didn't realize we would need them this early in the year. Stepping out on the porch to get a few pieces of firewood, I realized that I needed the extra protection before the dog and I went to give the chickens a treat of leftover scraps and to make sure the animal's water wasn't frozen.

I decided to get some blood moving and walked down to the mailbox while I was already bundled. I felt exerted by the time I walked back up the hill and was thinking how all the extra attire seamed to weigh me down. It'd been a few days (or so) since I got any real exercise and obviously it was needed!

I carried three arm loads of wood in from the wood shed when I got back and that was all enough for me! It's funny how much more lazy I feel when it turns colder. It's harder to get out from under those warm blankets in the morning, too.

The girls gave me four eggs today! The youngest are finally deciding to lay and it couldn't be too soon. I wish we would have butchered earlier and gotten more chicks early on. Maybe we'll be better prepared next year. For now, we are thankful for their offerings.

Love and Warmth,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment